Monday, April 25, 2011

Something a Little Different: Artistic Topical Commentary

“One final thing I have to do … and then I’ll be free of the past.”
Vertigo (1958)

“We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented.”

“At times like this, I wish I was but a simple peasant.”



“One down, a couple billion to go.”
Contact (1997)


“You still don’t understand what you’re dealing with, do you? … Perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.”

“Faith is a torment. It is like loving someone who is out there in the darkness but never appears, no matter how loudly you call.”

“Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well! To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising visit?”
A Clockwork Orange (1971)


“I am letting you into the secret of all secrets. Mirrors are gates through which death comes and goes.”


“This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off.”
Alien (1979)


“Yeah, well it’s simple for everybody else - give ‘em a Big Mac and a pair of Nikes and they’re happy. I just can’t relate to 99.9% of humanity.”
Ghost World (2001

“The population census has got him down as “dormanted”. The Central Collective Storehouse computer has got him down as “deleted”. […] Information Retrieval has got him down as “inoperative”. And there’s another one - security has got him down as “excised”. Administration has got him down as “completed”. … He’s dead.”
Brazil (1985)


“Every god is a god of death.”
Szamanka (1996)


“We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won’t allow them to write “fuck” on their airplanes because it’s obscene!”
Apocalypse Now (1979)


“Los Angeles, November 2019”
Blade Runner (1982)


“I fantasize about a massive, pristine convenience. Brilliant gold taps, virginal white marble, a seat carved from ebony, a cistern full of Chanel Number 5, and a flunky handing me pieces of raw silk toilet roll. But under the circumstances I’ll settle for anywhere.”
Trainspotting (1996)


“Deliberately buried. Huh!”
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)


“This ain’t killin’ for profit. This is ritual.”
From Hell (2001)

“Three minutes. This is it. The beginning. Ground zero. … Do you have a speech for the occasion?”
Fight Club (1999)


“May the glistening chrome of the Borg Queen shed her light upon us all!”
Gentlemen Broncos (2009)


“Its origin and purpose are still a total mystery.”
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

“Mr. Murphy, what attracts you to the leisure industry? … In a word: pleasure. It’s like, my pleasure in other people’s leisure.”
Trainspotting (1996)


“This is where I live. This is me. I will not allow violence against this house.”
Straw Dogs (1971)


Happy Easter & Passover Earth!

No comments: